Is there a subtag for 'plain English' or 'simplified English'

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Dec 19 16:48:23 CET 2006

Hoag, Regina scripsit:

> What would you suggest to indicate the difference between something
> written in English and a simplified English "translation" of that
> content. For example, the legal wording of a bill submitted to voters
> and the "plain English" translation of that bill.
>
> Would it be appropriate in this case to use a user extension? (e.g.
> x-mysimplifiedenglish)

That always works.

> If an alternative already exists, I understand it would be better not to
> use a private use subtag, however this distinction may be too
> idiosyncratic for a general tag. What do you think?

I agree: there are many simplified Englishes (probably at least as many as
there are "plain English" statutes), so a single subtag for them all would
lack a clear description, which a registered variant subtag must have.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
Big as a house, much bigger than a house, it looked to [Sam], a grey-clad