Is there a subtag for 'plain English' or 'simplified English'

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at
Tue Dec 19 16:53:44 CET 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 08:52:46AM -0500,
 Hoag, Regina <rhoag at ETS.ORG> wrote 
 a message of 120 lines which said:

> What would you suggest to indicate the difference between something
> written in English and a simplified English "translation" of that
> content. For example, the legal wording of a bill submitted to voters
> and the "plain English" translation of that bill.
> Would it be appropriate in this case to use a user extension? (e.g.
> x-mysimplifiedenglish)

IMHO, yes. Do note that your private use subtag is too long. But the
tag en-x-simple would be legal.

IMHO again, some versions of "simplified english" could deserve a
registered variant. For instance, english as specified in ASD-STE100
( could be registered as
variant ste100.

More information about the Ietf-languages mailing list