Alemanic & Swiss German

Marion Gunn mgunn at egt.ie
Tue Dec 5 12:57:15 CET 2006

This is exactly the kind of carry-over of errors (based on same bad
experiences of errors carried over from MARC into another part of
639) to which some, including myself, objected years ago, but the SIL
block looks like being pushed through anyway.

I still believe that it would be far better, even at this late state,
to build each part of 639 ab initio, with due care for cultural
concerns and consulting actual language groups at National Body
level, as this is a better (older, more politically correct)
protocol, rather than take such dangerous shortcuts as swallowing
undigested SIL material.

mg

On 4 Dec 2006, at 17:06, scríobh Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com:

> However, the spelling "Alemannic" seems to be far more common than
> Alemanic. I'm wondering if that's a spelling mistake on SIL that I
> copied over assuming that resource to be authorative. If I were
> submitting this application today, I would use the spelling with
> two n's.

- -
Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an