[Ltru] Alemanic & Swiss German

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Sun Dec 3 23:37:44 CET 2006

I looked at your long letter, but it doesn't change my conclusion. From all
the evidence cited, "gsw" was intended to be "Swiss German". The term
"Alemanic" in English ("Alemanisch" in German) encompasses a wider scope (eg
including Swabian, which is clearly not Swiss German*), and should not be
used. Retaining the word "Alemanic" in the scope of "gsw" is a bit like
intending to produce a code for "bloodhound" but later saying that the code
covers any "dog". If there is need for the broader term "Alemanic", which is
not unreasonable, it really should be encoded separately.

Mark

PS. - I have a close friend who speaks Swabian, and it is very distinctly
different from Swiss German -- but ask any Swiss like Martin for further
confirmation.