Tagging videoclips in XML (RE: Swiss german, spoken)

Addison Phillips addison.phillips at quest.com
Wed Jun 15 17:10:14 CEST 2005

The purpose of xml:lang is as Harold describes it: indicating the language contained by an element. That is, the best application of xml:lang should be to identify the language of text contained by the element (including any sub-elements).

If you want to have an element or attribute whose value is a language, then you should use RFC 3066 (or its successor) to form the value, but you should define an element or attribute of your own with a different name (and not use xml:lang).

For example, in XHTML, there is an hreflang attribute in the <a> element and also an xml:lang (or lang attribute, in the case of HTML) for the content of the <a> element:

<a xml:lang="en" href="xyz" hreflang="de">Click for German</a>

Using Harold's example, your XML might look like:

<item>
  <title xml:lang="en">Casablanca</title>
  <runningTime value="137" /> <!-- not language affected -->
  <dialogue language="zh-min" />
  <subtitles track="1" language="zh-Hant" />
  <subtitles track="2" language="zh-Hans" />
</item>

In addition, while it is possible to define your own formats for all the various values that you need, it is sometimes helps interoperability to define formats using a shared vocabulary, such as XML Schema. XML Schema provides a type for language values (xsi:language) which is defined using RFC 3066.

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect, Quest Software
Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.