comments on the draft - 2

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Fri Jun 11 23:22:41 CEST 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Addison Phillips [wM] wrote:
> Annoyingly (or perhaps pleasingly), it is spelled both ways in the
> document. I should note that both are in common use.

I checked multiple dictionaries, and they all list "supersede" as the
primary entry, with "supercede" as an acceptable variant.  The exception
is OED, which claims that "supercede" is "now erroneous".

I don't know how that judgement of "erroneous" came about, and it seems to
me to be a bit bogus.  Nevertheless, there seems to be concensus that
"supersede" is the primary spelling.  A document should certainly not use
both spellings.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.