Tex's -08 comments

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Mon Dec 13 16:32:51 CET 2004

I hope this doesn't get lost in the shuffle.  I'd been meaning to write
it.

Tex wrote:

> 5) section 2.2 says that the language tag cannot be empty.
> We should clarify that the null string is allowed, but the language
> subtag cannot be empty if there are other subtags.
> The BNF should show the empty string is valid. (I presume this
> suggestion is correct since elsewhere we recommend the empty string as
> an alternative to UND.)

I don't believe the null string is a valid language tag, or should be.
I think protocols that allow it, such as XML, should specify that the
null string is allowable *in place of* a language tag.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/