LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM (Newspeak)

Thor Kottelin thor.kottelin at elisa.fi
Sun Jun 1 23:13:11 CEST 2003

> Naming a language and making a dozen words up does not a language
> make.

"A dozen words" are not the main difference between Oldspeak and Newspeak.
Much greater dissimilarity can be found in the grammar.

> Are you suggesting the following?
>
> <lang="en">Many people would just call what he says
> </lang><lang="en-newspeak">doublethink</lang><lang="en">, but I think
> it's rather clever.</lang>

A more likely case of usage would be <span lang="en">uneasy</span> vs. <span
lang="x-en-newspeak">uneasy</span>. The latter doesn't mean "anxious" or
"nervous", but simply "difficult". Such tagging would potentially clarify
e.g. <URL:http://www.maison-otaku.net/~mikado/write/orig/2084.txt>.

Thor