Yiddish

Sean M. Burke sburke@cpan.org
Thu, 30 May 2002 20:00:20 -0600

At 09:38 2002-05-31 +0900, Martin Duerst wrote:
>1) Don't assume one or the other is the 'normal' form. Otherwise, it
>    will be impossible to label things that are in Yiddish, but where
>    you don't care (e.g. audio) or to request Yiddish independent of
>    the script.

I don't understand either part of this point.  I'm not debating them; I
just don't understand them.

For the first point, how does taking "yi" to mean "generic Yiddish" (and
also assuming that that means Latin script -- altho that assumption is
probably  controversial) stop me from using "yi" to label an audio clip in
Yiddish?

For the second point, I think I can't quite picture your idea of HTTP
content negotiation.  If someone says they accept "yi", and they get
something in a generic and generally-comprehensible form of Yiddish, isn't
that proper?

--
Sean M. Burke    http://www.spinn.net/~sburke/