ISO 3166 (country codes) Maintenance Agency Web pages move

Asmus Freytag asmusf@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:49:59 -0800

At 05:36 PM 2/27/02 -0500, John Cowan wrote:
>numbering houses (which seems to be 18th century)

I would have ventured that it is much older than that, dimly recalling some
older maps from a small museum I once visited.

There's a difference between house numbers and street addresses. House
numbers, which number every house in a city or village starting at 1 are
the older system and I have been in places where these house numbers have
been maintained (although perhaps no longer used for postal delivery).

A./