deployed language negotiation

Sean M. Burke sburke@cpan.org
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:46:18 -0700

I've been trying to find any Web site recently that uses language
negotiation (via Accept-Languages), beyond just Google and Debian.org.   So
far all I've found is the web sites of an observatory in France, and the
Education Network of Ontario.

Altho I might be thick, it seems to me that the government sites of Canada
or Switzerland or the EU, or any similarly multilingual entities, should
instead of making the user select which language he wants to see the site
in, should default to the highest acceptable language in the
Accept-Languages list.
Since that would not be an irrevocable assumption (there are "EN" , "FR",
etc links on most pages of the sites I've seen where alternates are
available), I am puzzled that there is not more language-negotiation on
multilingual Web sites.  Is there some implementational problem with
language-negotation that I'm unaware of?

--
Sean M. Burke    sburke@cpan.org    http://www.spinn.net/~sburke/