(no subject)

John Clews Scripts2@sesame.demon.co.uk
Wed, 04 Dec 2002 16:01:07 GMT

In message <p05200a02ba1382539977@[195.218.107.234]> Michael Everson writes,
Re: Here comes the Yiddish:

> Your simple solution is to use language tagging and script tagging.
> Yiddish in Latin is not a different language from Yiddish in Hebrew.

It's not a different spoken language, though for browsers reading
text, the differences are worth providing for, self-evidently.

I agree, as you say, that "your simple solution is to use language
tagging and script tagging."

However, currently, while users of RFC 3066 have a means of language
tagging, but they have no means of script tagging available.

We wait on ISO getting around to it, and as both you and I know well,
ISO has done nothing, despite pushing from both of us.

So to me it seems like it's time for "RFC3066ers" to ask:

(a) should we do it ourselves?

(b) how do we do it?

(c) do we rely on additions being made by the Language Tag reviewer?

(d) do we ask for a revision of RFC 3066 to include language tags?

(e) do we ask for a new RFC to be written which spells out language tags?

To me, only the last makes sense, though (d) might need a brief
revision to refer to (e).

Probably (c) should not be done.

If (e) was done under the RFC process, whether ISO publishes
ISO 15924 or not is then irrelevant to us.

Best regards

John Clews

--
John Clews,
Keytempo Limited (Information Management),

Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22/WG20: Internationalization;
Committee Member of ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1: Language Codes