(no subject)

Michael Everson everson@evertype.com
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 18:22:56 +0000

At 16:01 +0000 2002-12-04, John Clews wrote:
>In message <p05200a02ba1382539977@[195.218.107.234]> Michael Everson writes=
,
>Re: Here comes the Yiddish:
>
>>  Your simple solution is to use language tagging and script tagging.
>>  Yiddish in Latin is not a different language from Yiddish in Hebrew.
>
>It's not a different spoken language, though for browsers reading
>text, the differences are worth providing for, self-evidently.

And easily done with script tagging.

>I agree, as you say, that "your simple solution is to use language
>tagging and script tagging."

Thank you.

>However, currently, while users of RFC 3066 have a means of language
>tagging, but they have no means of script tagging available.

Then the RFC community should make sure that such a means is made
available as a matter of urgency. I don't imagine it ought to take
that much time to write up.

Language codes refer to the names of languages. Our RFC is an
EXTENSION of ISO 639. If you want to mix language codes and script
codes you should do so with the appropriate tagging mechanism.

Sorry, Se=E1n, but I really believe that script-tag markup is the
better way to go.