I approve the registration of de-DE-1901 (German, German variant, traditional orthography)

Michael Everson everson@evertype.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 18:56:30 +0100

As I saw it, Peter, it was clear that the temporal element was
secondary to the identification of the language itself.

de-DE-1901
de-DE-1996
ga-IE-1927 (to take Dinneen's dictionary arbitrarily)
ga-IE-1959 (the Roman Caighde=E1n Oifigi=FAil)

and all the revisions of Nynorsk and Bokm=E5l, the primary element is
the language itself and then the particular orthography.

It also seemed that HTTP content negotiation, and the
well-established de-AT convention outweighed the other argument. Do
people want to tag the dialect first or the orthograpy? The chief
users appear to be already tagging dialects by selecting their
calendar and keyboard preferences in their locales at system level,
and subsequently pre- or post-1996 orthography in their applications.
That's what I see. A reverse argument? Well, look, these were
proposed long ago, and Torsten (the proposer) has said his
application needs a solution soon. This could go back and forth for a
long time.

I've approved them. If you protest, we can  put them on hold easily
enough. Do you want to? I'm only the reviewer. What's been approved
is suitable, in my view, but we can hold off for further discussion
if you wish. But not forever.
--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com