Mapping Poll - REQUEST

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Tue Feb 9 18:05:49 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 05:01:30PM +0000, Shawn Steele wrote:
> IMO this accurately discribes the gulf between the two positions,
> however I would not say that we're stuck with #1 just because it was
> an idea some people originally had at the beginning of this effort.

No, I agree that we need not be stuck with it just because it was a
founding principle of the work.  But I think we have a giant, totally
pointless lot of difficulty in the protocol if we're not going to
cleave to that principle.  If we were going to reproduce the mapping
rules of 2003, with maybe a couple changes, we should have adopted the
approach Paul Hoffman suggested nearly a year ago, IIRC: just update
IDNA2003 to reflect the latest Unicode, and commit to a regular
revision schedule.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.