consensus Call: TATWEEL

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Wed Mar 25 14:52:23 CET 2009

I'd like to elaborate a little bit on my position on Tatweel, given
the email below, and the discussions about mapping yesterday.

Although mapping Tatweel to "nothing" (i.e. deleting) is certainly one
of the alternatives, I think we should consider simply disallowing
Tatweel. The reason is as follows.

If we map Tatweel to nothing, IDNA2003 apps and new apps will try to
resolve different domain names. E.g. old and new browsers will go to
different places.

If we disallow Tatweel in the input to the mapping function (or map
Tatweel to Tatweel and then prohibit Tatweel in the input to the
Punycode function), new apps will simply fail to lookup the domain
name. This would eventually encourage e.g. HTML file maintainers to
remove Tatweels from domain names in hrefs and the like.

Erik