Another thoughts on TRANSITIONAL

Alireza Saleh saleh at nic.ir
Sun Dec 6 08:16:40 CET 2009

I think TLD operators can help to solve this problem. In current
situation, we should accept that some incompatibilities may occur in
lower level of labels which are not under the control of the TLD
operators. I think the only way to do the transition is at the time that
registries start registering domains under the IDNA2008 regulations.

Registries should take an appropriate sunrise system before introducing
domain-registration under INDA2008. For example,
1) Stop registering IDN names or check IDNA2003 version of each
registration against their database and if it exists , do not allow that
registration
2) Contact current label owners who have domain names including
MAYBE-CANDIDATE characters and ask them whether they want INDA2008
variant of that or not
3) Begin normal registration after this Sunrise-Transitional period passed

This may require  close co-operation between ICANN and IETF to publish a
guideline for that transition including policy and technical solutions.
It may also require revisiting the EPP protocol or add an extension to
that.

- Alireza