Review of draft-ietf-idnabis-defs-10

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Aug 24 12:36:58 CEST 2009

Please see my own comments on defs-10. I think the big danger of Figure
2 is that people read it the same way as Figure 1, namely a Venn diagram
in a clearly defined space (ASCII labels for Fig. 1).

The purpose seems to be to just point out that there are other concepts
in DNS operation that may be, but should not be, confused with U-Labels.
For this, a bullet list is much more appropriate than a diagram that (by
itself and by context) suggests an interpretation as a Venn-diagram.

As for direct encoding of e.g. UTF-8 into DNS
(draft-iab-idn-encoding,...), this is clearly different from U-Label as
defined in 'Definitions', and we either should ignore it or be more
explicit.

Regards,    Martin.