Interoperability

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Mon Jul 28 12:49:03 CEST 2008

My purpose is not to see the mapping incorporated into the protocol
document; it is rather to provide a separate but concrete specification of
what that mapping should be, along the lines of what is in
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dfqr8rd5_51c3nrskcx
That is, supply a mapping that is essentially the same as the one used in
IDNA2003, but logically and consistently extended to the repertoire of any
Unicode version, much like what Tables is doing in terms of rules.

My concern is that if we don't supply a precise specification of what a
compatible mapping would be, we will end up with all kinds of spurious
differences among mappings.

The open issue in my mind as to the draft document I put together is
whether it has to be absolutely compatible with IDNA2003, or whether
we can get rid of the small set of exclusions (Section 3.3 Exclusions)
and the mapping errors (Section
3.4.3. Retain Corrigendum #4: Five Unihan Canonical Mapping Errors), which
would be rather nice to do.
Mark