Arabic-Indic digits

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 16 01:43:30 CET 2008

"Contextual" means that it depends on the data being rendered.  I'm not a GDI guru, so I'm not entirely certain when this shows up, but I'll ask Peter :)  I think it means that if it is near native letters, then european digits get replaced with the national ones, if its by latin letters, then the digits stays european.

The statement about Kuwait is something I heard from an Arabic speaker (Egyptian), so I don't know if it is true, however from your statement it sounds like replacement of European digits can't be generalized to all arabic countries/scripts, which was my concern.

- Shawn