Arabic-Indic digits

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Dec 15 03:37:24 CET 2008

Hello Shawn,

Thanks for your information. Some questions:

- What exactly does "contextual" mean?
- You mention Kuwait as a place where 0-9 are being preferred.
  That's new to me, but I have heard that 0-9 are preferred in
  the Westmost part of the Arab world (my guess is that's mainly
  Morocco, Algeria, and Tunesia).

Regards,    Martin.

At 04:25 08/12/12, Shawn Steele wrote:

>FWIW: I mentioned that Windows can replace European digits with any native digit set, and so the Arabic-Indic concern isn$BCU(B just for the Arabic-Indic digits or the Arabic locales.  The languages shipping with this behavior out of the box are:
>
>Arabic-Indic digits
>                All Arabic locales (contextual)
>                Pashto (always replaced)
>                Dari (always replaced)
>
>Arabic-Indic Extended Digits
>                Persian (contextual)
>
>Devenagari Digits
>                Nepal (always replaced)
>
>Khmer Digits
>                Khmer (always replaced)
>
>I have also been led to believe (perhaps mistaken) that in Kuwait (for one), the default behavior is wrong, and that it is preferred to use 0-9 all the time instead of the Arabic-Indic digits.
>
>Note that this behavior can be overridden for any locale/language, including English (though I don$BCU(B know why you$BCE(B do this for English).
>* Open intl.cpl (Regional and Language Options),
>* select customize,
>* change the standard digits to something interesting,
>* change $BEV(Bse native digits$BG(Bto $BEO(Bational$BG
(B