Arabic-Indic digits

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 11 20:25:40 CET 2008

FWIW: I mentioned that Windows can replace European digits with any native digit set, and so the Arabic-Indic concern isn't just for the Arabic-Indic digits or the Arabic locales.  The languages shipping with this behavior out of the box are:

Arabic-Indic digits
                All Arabic locales (contextual)
                Pashto (always replaced)
                Dari (always replaced)

Arabic-Indic Extended Digits
                Persian (contextual)

Devenagari Digits
                Nepal (always replaced)

Khmer Digits
                Khmer (always replaced)

I have also been led to believe (perhaps mistaken) that in Kuwait (for one), the default behavior is wrong, and that it is preferred to use 0-9 all the time instead of the Arabic-Indic digits.

Note that this behavior can be overridden for any locale/language, including English (though I don't know why you'd do this for English).
* Open intl.cpl (Regional and Language Options),
* select customize,
* change the standard digits to something interesting,
* change "use native digits" to "national",
* click apply.
Immediately you'll see a bunch of digits in windows everywhere get replaced.

So for further discussions I'd rather not limit the discussion to "just" the Arabic-Indic set of digits.

- Shawn