[R-C] A plan of attack for Paris - background

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Feb 27 16:13:22 CET 2012

This discussion has been far too quiet for the last month or two while
everyone's been busy with JSEP and implementations....
to recap the discussion in Taipei, the conclusions I noted for actions
to be taken were:

- define the circuit-breaker conditions "stop when you see this" (AVTCORE)
- define the feedback messages for receiver bandwidth estimate and
timestamps (AVTEXT)
- create a working group for publishing the ideas and pushing a long
term algorithm standard (TSV area)

We had a charter circulated some time ago, but the IESG considered this
and decided they would prefer to see a BOF first; we promptly followed
up by missing the BOF deadline for Paris.

What Wesley suggested earlier we discuss before the BOF, and prepare
before the meeting, was:

1 - problem statement(s) (there are pieces of a few emails that
     could be a good start to this)
2 - requirements (again, there are a few emails that could be
     a starting point for this)
3 - proposed algorithms and other mechanisms (there is at least
     one I-D that fits this, more would be good, especially as
     there are multiple facets of the problem to be addressed)
4 - thoughts on how to test and evaluate algorithms (there seem
     to be less concrete thoughts on this so far?)

So much for the recap. Query: Do we all agree that this is where we are?