[R-C] A plan of attack for Paris - background

Varun Singh vsingh.ietf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 16:41:39 CET 2012

Hi Harald,

Colin and I are working on the circuit breakers draft and will be submitted
soon to avtcore.

Cheers,
Varun

On 27.2.2012, at 17.13, Harald Alvestrand <harald at alvestrand.no> wrote:

 This discussion has been far too quiet for the last month or two while
everyone's been busy with JSEP and implementations....
to recap the discussion in Taipei, the conclusions I noted for actions to
be taken were:

- define the circuit-breaker conditions “stop when you see this” (AVTCORE)
- define the feedback messages for receiver bandwidth estimate and
timestamps (AVTEXT)
- create a working group for publishing the ideas and pushing a long term
algorithm standard (TSV area)

We had a charter circulated some time ago, but the IESG considered this and
decided they would prefer to see a BOF first; we promptly followed up by
missing the BOF deadline for Paris.

What Wesley suggested earlier we discuss before the BOF, and prepare before
the meeting, was:

1 - problem statement(s) (there are pieces of a few emails that
    could be a good start to this)
2 - requirements (again, there are a few emails that could be
    a starting point for this)
3 - proposed algorithms and other mechanisms (there is at least
    one I-D that fits this, more would be good, especially as
    there are multiple facets of the problem to be addressed)
4 - thoughts on how to test and evaluate algorithms (there seem
    to be less concrete thoughts on this so far?)

So much for the recap. Query: Do we all agree that this is where we are?