[R-C] Charter -> congestion avoidance vs. congestion control?

Saverio Mascolo saverio.mascolo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 21:10:15 CEST 2012

i would say congestion is particular part of congestion control. It
refers to "gentle" part of the probing, that is done on purpose to
avoid congestion (increase the winwow of 1 packet per rtt)
Saverii

On 8/6/12, Mirja Kuehlewind <mirja.kuehlewind at ikr.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> one more comment regarding the charter. I was wondering if there is a
> difference between congestion avoidance and congestion control. I would say
>
> congestion avoidance is the more general term, while congestion control
> implies some kind of control loop.
>
> In case of real-time media traffic, as we have specific traffic
> characteristics, we might end up with something that e.g. only switches
> between certain pre-defined rate depending on feedback that we maybe get
> (only) once per RTT. This is quite different form current (TCP) congestion
> control where you calculate the sending rate based on continuous feedback
> (assuming you have more or less all the time data to send). Would we
> consider
> both as congestion control or only the latter case which is TCP-like
> congestion control?
>
> I would propose to only talk about congestion avoidance in the charter to
> make
> sure that we not only aim for TCP-like congestion control but also a
> solution
> as described above would be in the charter.
>
> Mirja
>

> On Thursday 02 August 2012 19:12:30 Michael Welzl wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There were two minimal changes to the charter, which is at:
>> https://sites.google.com/a/alvestrand.com/rtp-congestion/bof-planning-page/
>>wg-charter---input-to-vancouver
>>
>> It now explicitly says that the following are out of scope:
>> * Active queue management; modifications to TCP of any kind; and
>> * Multicast congestion control (common control of multiple unicast
>> flows is in scope).
>>
>> Other than that, the charter hasn't changed since the last version
>> that was sent around in May.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Michael

> --
> Dipl.-Ing. Mirja Kühlewind
> Institute of Communication Networks and Computer Engineering (IKR)
> University of Stuttgart, Germany
> Pfaffenwaldring 47, D-70569 Stuttgart
>
> tel: +49(0)711/685-67973
> email: mirja.kuehlewind at ikr.uni-stuttgart.de
> web: www.ikr.uni-stuttgart.de

Saverio Mascolo, Full Professor
Dipartimento di Elettrotecnica ed Elettronica
Politecnico di Bari
Via Orabona 4, 70125 Bari Italy
Tel. +39 080 5963621
Fax. +39 080 5963410