[R-C] Charter -> congestion avoidance vs. congestion control?

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Tue Aug 7 13:50:17 CEST 2012

On 08/06/2012 02:47 PM, Mirja Kuehlewind wrote:
> Hi,
>
> one more comment regarding the charter. I was wondering if there is a
> difference between congestion avoidance and congestion control. I would say
> congestion avoidance is the more general term, while congestion control
> implies some kind of control loop.
When I first learned networking ~30 years ago, "congestion avoidance"
was the term used when you managed things so that congestion at the
media level could never happen (token ring, ATM), while "congestion
control" was the whole area of what you did either to avoid congestion
or to deal with it once it happened.

So I'd prefer "congestion control", since congestion is a fact of life;
we're dealing with it, not avoiding it at all cost - but I'm a bit
old-fashioned.

               Harald