[RTW] HTTP failover (Re: WG charter, take 4)

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Sat Feb 26 09:55:22 CET 2011

On 02/26/11 08:31, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> > That was another key issue I also have with the charter - I was under
> > the impression the group is there to solve the RTC communication on
> > the Web (!), i.e. in Web browsers using HTML5 and HTTP. The charter
> > is, however, so much wider and I am starting to wonder if we are
> > trying to create an unwieldy solution to an unclear problem.
>
> [BA] The charter does not in fact cover a number of issues relevant to
> RTC communication over HTTP,  such as something as basic as
> encoding.  While peer-to-peer media over UDP is to be preferred
> where available, the reality is that today "HTTP failover" has become
> an essential feature of today's most successful realtime web
> services.
>
> So ironically, the charter both underspecifies and overspecifies
> the work, at the same time.
Bernard, can you formulate a section for the "list of technologies to be
considered" that captures the technology of "HTTP failover"?

What are the other issues you don't feel are covered?

> > I am willing to provide an alternative charter proposal, if there is
> > interest, attempting to take these comments into consideration.
>
> I would support the development of an alternative proposal.
I would also welcome alternative text for sections of the current
charter. While alternative proposals are one way to go, some of us think
that the stuff that is in the current charter is stuff that needs to be
in any charter going forward. The result is likely to be a synthesis of
ideas; we can get there either by iterating or by proposing alternatives.

                  Harald