[RTW] WG charter, take 4

Bernard Aboba bernard_aboba at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 26 08:31:44 CET 2011

> That was another key issue I also have with the charter - I was under
> the impression the group is there to solve the RTC communication on
> the Web (!), i.e. in Web browsers using HTML5 and HTTP. The charter
> is, however, so much wider and I am starting to wonder if we are
> trying to create an unwieldy solution to an unclear problem.

[BA] The charter does not in fact cover a number of issues relevant to
RTC communication over HTTP,  such as something as basic as
encoding.  While peer-to-peer media over UDP is to be preferred
where available, the reality is that today "HTTP failover" has become
an essential feature of today's most successful realtime web
services.

So ironically, the charter both underspecifies and overspecifies
the work, at the same time.

> I am willing to provide an alternative charter proposal, if there is
> interest, attempting to take these comments into consideration.

I would support the development of an alternative proposal.