[RTW] [dispatch] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-alvestrand-dispatch-rtcweb-protocols-00

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 08:03:40 CET 2010

Similarly, codecs that have gone through a standardisation process and have
been made available for licensing have later been found to be not "free of
encumbrance" and attracted lawsuits, so this argument does not hold up as an
argument against open codecs.

The IPR situation of any codec is simply never clear. IPR is not a good
argument for or against the choice of a codec. The need to pay royalties,
however, is a good argument against a codec, since it limits which parts of
the population can use it and which can't.

As for the question about an open specification document for VP8, it is
available and can be downloaded from
http://www.webmproject.org/media/pdf/vp8-bitstream.pdf . An independent
implementation of VP8 can be made by anyone, see
http://www.webmproject.org/license/bitstream/ .

Regards,
Silvia.