Moving the process document forward

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Sep 2 15:01:06 CEST 2003

Melinda,

MS> we do need input on the question of how to tackle the
MS> restructuring (if it's agreed that it's necessary) question,
MS> whether it's details on how to construct a blue-ribbon panel
MS> or to recommend kicking the whole thing over to the IESG.

The situation is a bit worse than that.

Other than general references to "restructuring" we do not have anything
concretely specifying what that means, nevermind whether we have
consensus to pursue it.

We could probably get community consensus that the world needs peace.
But the consensus would have little practical use, in terms of
predicting that community's embracing of any particular peace proposal,
or even of giving guidance for how to pursue peace.

When people explain what they mean by the term restructuring, in terms
that have some concrete relationship to the operation of the IETF and
some understanding of the intended, concrete outcomes, *then* it might
be worth considering how to pursue it.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker at brandenburg.com>