Moving the process document forward

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Tue Sep 2 15:52:07 CEST 2003

--On 2. september 2003 14:01 -0700 Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:

> Melinda,
>
> MS> we do need input on the question of how to tackle the
> MS> restructuring (if it's agreed that it's necessary) question,
> MS> whether it's details on how to construct a blue-ribbon panel
> MS> or to recommend kicking the whole thing over to the IESG.
>
> The situation is a bit worse than that.
>
> Other than general references to "restructuring" we do not have anything
> concretely specifying what that means, nevermind whether we have
> consensus to pursue it.

I think the WG has the following chartered work item:

> As a second work item, the group will also produce a proposal for a
> process to develop solutions to the problems identified by this working
> group.

Since we know what the problems are (modulo objections to -issue-03, which
I haven't seen much of), there should be at least some possibility of
suggesting the required process for fixing them.

This may come in the form of (problem, suggested solution,
how-to-get-there) descriptions, or it may come in the form of (problem,
needed investigation, range of solutions) descriptions; I personally don't
think all of our problems will be solved by a single fell-swoop solution -
different problems may require different approaches, so there are probably
multiple things that can be suggested, refined and adopted - but I think
the proposals need to be anchored into "what problem are we trying to
solve".

(Yes, I AM working on delivering what I think the IESG was charged with in
Vienna - proposing at least some process to deal with at least some of the
problems. It's not ready for publication yet.)

                                Harald