Registration of media type application/xtm+xml

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Thu Nov 19 16:59:22 CET 2009

* Bjoern Hoehrmann

> An RFC would be the proper form; an alternative would have been for ISO
> to include the registration information in the relevant ISO standard.

We could put the information in the ISO standard, but realistically that would take years because of the voting requirements, so I think an RFC is the best route for this.

> Note that you have to publish the document as Internet-Draft before the
> IESG will consider it for publication as RFC.

Okay. I'll figure out how to do that and do it once the registration part passes review here.

> [Applications which use this media type]
>
> This should rather describe the general categories of applications,
> like, say, computer aided drawing programs, web browsers, and so on.

Oh dear. That's not easy, since this is a generic format. A lot of the tools which implement it are generic Topic Maps frameworks used to build other tools. Applications based on these have been deployed in everything from web portals, product configuration tools, and e-learning systems to intelligence and police systems.

So I could say "web portals", which is a common use, but it's kind of misleading, because really the *media type* is going to be used by web service interfaces of all kinds.

Would something like the below work?

  XTM is a generic data format, and as such is used by a wide
  range of applications. So far, common applications have been
  web portals, content management, and e-learning.

You can see an incomplete list of tools here, but I doubt it helps:
  http://www.garshol.priv.no/tmtools/technology.jsp?id=xtm-10

RDF/XML has similar problems, and simply wrote:

  RDF is device-, platform-, and vendor-neutral and is supported
  by a range of Web user agents and authoring tools.

which is very similar to what I wrote. Some web user agents, like clients of Topic Maps-based web services do use XTM. So maybe I should add that?

> Following the template in RFC 4288 this should be "Person & email
> address to contact for further information".

Ok. Changed.

> This should probably be "The IESG." as it concerns the definition of
> the media type, not the underlying data format. If ISO wishes to get
> change control over the type, they are welcome to talk to the IESG.
> Similarily, the authors would be the authors of the registration.

Ok. Also changed.

--Lars M.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/tmphoto/
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/