Change Controller

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Nov 17 11:41:48 CET 2009

Martin J. Dürst wrote:
> Hello Julian,
>
> A tiny bit more of context in your mail would have been helpful.
> Apparently, you are talking about updates for the types text/html and
> application/xhtml+xml, which may be sent to this list in the future.

Indeed.

> As for your specific concern below, these registrations go through IESG
> approval, so it would be the IESG who has to figure out whom to believe
> in the case of a conflict, not IANA.

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288#section-9>:

    The owner of a media type may pass responsibility to another person
    or agency by informing the IANA and the ietf-types list; this can be
    done without discussion or review.

So it appears that just changing the change controller does not require
IESG approval (HTML5 does more than that; I'm just trying to understand
the procedure in cases where *just* the ownership changed).

BR, Julian