Change Controller

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Nov 17 12:09:15 CET 2009

On 2009/11/17 19:41, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Martin J. Dürst wrote:
>> Hello Julian,
>>
>> A tiny bit more of context in your mail would have been helpful.
>> Apparently, you are talking about updates for the types text/html and
>> application/xhtml+xml, which may be sent to this list in the future.
>
> Indeed.
>
>> As for your specific concern below, these registrations go through
>> IESG approval, so it would be the IESG who has to figure out whom to
>> believe in the case of a conflict, not IANA.
>
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288#section-9>:
>
> The owner of a media type may pass responsibility to another person
> or agency by informing the IANA and the ietf-types list; this can be
> done without discussion or review.
>
> So it appears that just changing the change controller does not require
> IESG approval (HTML5 does more than that; I'm just trying to understand
> the procedure in cases where *just* the ownership changed).

Immediately afterwards, it says:

    The IESG may reassign responsibility for a media type.  The most
    common case of this will be to enable changes to be made to types
    where the author of the registration has died, moved out of contact
    or is otherwise unable to make changes that are important to the
    community.

So if e.g. the WhatWG went havoc and unilaterally sent the IANA a change
request to be the only owner of text/html, the IESG could simply
reassing it back to W3C (or vice versa).

I'd personally prefer to see the HTML5 spec done formally at W3C and
only at W3C. But the possibility of one of the organizations in charge
unilaterally claiming ownership of a media type is the least problem I
worry about in this context.

Regards,    Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp