Registration of media type image/vnd.radiance

Mark Baker mark at coactus.com
Mon Jan 5 19:36:26 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:15 PM, R Fritz <rfritz at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Maybe vnd.radiance.hdr, then?

Is Radiance an organization of some type?  Sorry for my ignorance of this space.

>  LBL isn't in charge any more; Radiance has
> been open source for years, and is developed by a loosely organized group
> overseen by Greg Ward.  I'd love to do image/radiance, but aren't
> unqualified subtypes reserved for official standards bodies?

That's right.

Another possibility is the personal tree, e.g. image/prs.gregward.radiance

>>> Applications that use this media type: Adobe Photoshop, AHDRIA,
>>> AHDRIC, CinePaint, FDRTools, hdrgen, HDR Shop, PFStools,
>>> Photosphere, Qtpfsgui, RadDisplay, Radiance, Web HDR
>>
>> So these tools currently use image/vnd.radiance?
>
> Yes.  Radiance format was the first HDR image format, and because of its
> history has been quietly adopted by applications which support HDR.

To double-check, you're saying those apps are already coded to
recognize the media type name string "image/vnd.radiance"?  Or are you
saying that they just support the format?

If the former, then it should probably be registered as is because
it's obviously in common use, despite the syntactic problems.  If the
latter, we should fix the syntax.

Mark.