Registration of media type image/vnd.radiance

R Fritz rfritz at u.washington.edu
Mon Jan 5 23:52:11 CET 2009

On Jan 5, 2009, at 10:36 AM, Mark Baker wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:15 PM, R Fritz <rfritz at u.washington.edu>
> wrote:
>> Maybe vnd.radiance.hdr, then?
>
> Is Radiance an organization of some type?  Sorry for my ignorance of
> this space.

Radiance is the lighting simulation package where the format comes
from. Radiance was originally developed at LBL, but is now open
source. There's a loose organization of researchers which work with
and on Radiance.  You can find us at <http://www.radiance-online.org/
 >.  We've never needed a formal name before; in the registration
form, I've called us the Radiance Lighting Simulation Group.

>> LBL isn't in charge any more; Radiance has
>> been open source for years, and is developed by a loosely organized
>> group
>> overseen by Greg Ward.  I'd love to do image/radiance, but aren't
>> unqualified subtypes reserved for official standards bodies?
>
> That's right.
>
> Another possibility is the personal tree, e.g. image/
> prs.gregward.radiance

Hmmm.

>>> So these tools currently use image/vnd.radiance?
>>
>> Yes.  Radiance format was the first HDR image format, and because
>> of its
>> history has been quietly adopted by applications which support HDR.
>
> To double-check, you're saying those apps are already coded to
> recognize the media type name string "image/vnd.radiance"?  Or are you
> saying that they just support the format?
>
> If the former, then it should probably be registered as is because
> it's obviously in common use, despite the syntactic problems.  If the
> latter, we should fix the syntax.

Oh, I see.  No, they just recognize the format and some of the file
extensions; there's no problem changing the media type name.

Randolph