proposed ISO standard for language variations

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Mon May 9 20:13:19 CEST 2016

I believe they want to have a clear model for creating metadata elements or identifiers for all kinds of language variations. Compare that to our current use of variant subtags, which conflates any kinds of distinction _other than_ script or national/super-national regions. If we had requests for hundreds of variant subtags with many having overlapping semantics, we'd have a bit of a mess to sort through.

Without speaking for or against the proposed model, I have had numerous linguistics textbooks that did not present anything like this.

Peter