proposed ISO standard for language variations

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Tue May 10 13:37:23 CEST 2016

On 09/05/16 21:13, Peter Constable wrote:
> I believe they want to have a clear model for creating metadata elements or identifiers for all kinds of language variations. Compare that to our current use of variant subtags, which conflates any kinds of distinction _other than_ script or national/super-national regions. If we had requests for hundreds of variant subtags with many having overlapping semantics, we'd have a bit of a mess to sort through.

The concept itself -- a set of generic 'i+1-th
level' subtags appliable to any 'i-th level'
subtag -- is appealing.

Hovewer, the implementation would inevitably
produce a plethora of obscure and hardly usable
elements, and the application would hit the
obstacle of 'pure' types almost never existing.

> Without speaking for or against the proposed model, I have had numerous linguistics textbooks that did not present anything like this.

I was thinking about 'any' university-level
textbook of 'traditional Russian school' of
linguistics.

-Yury