request for subtag for Elfdalian

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Feb 29 00:34:14 CET 2016

Michael Everson scripsit:

> I don’t like “Elfdalian” because älv ‘river’ is not alv ‘elf’. (Compare
> the German river Elbe, Gothic Albi/Albja.) Unfortunately I can’t seem
> to find a loanword from Norse into English or Scots that corresponds
> to that word.

Pervasive umlaut in English merged them, evidently at the expense of the
sense 'river' (for which there are other words anyway).  So if it had
survived, it would have been Elfdale all right.

(Wiktionary shows a seeming ghost form "ielf", which I think must be the
result of mis-OCRing of ælf in italics.)

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
But no living man am I!  You look upon a woman.  Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter.
You stand between me and my lord and kin.  Begone, if you be not deathless.
For living or dark undead, I will smite you if you touch him.