request for subtag for Elfdalian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Feb 28 23:30:29 CET 2016

Michael Everson wrote:

> I don’t like “Elfdalian” because älv ‘river’ is not alv ‘elf’.
> (Compare the German river Elbe, Gothic Albi/Albja.) Unfortunately I
> can’t seem to find a loanword from Norse into English or Scots that
> corresponds to that word.
>
> Älvdalen is River-dale, not Elf-dale.

I bet if we go through the origins of various exonyms, for languages and
countries and peoples, we can find any number of them that are
etymologically bogus. Occasionally and over time, the realization of
this bogosity can cause the exonym to be changed or abandoned, but I
question whether it is our role here to instigate such a change.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸