Add Likely Subtags first step

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Sun Jan 25 11:10:38 CET 2015

Sounds like there is rough consensus on deprecating all of them, which is
the most important step.

Secondarily, it sounds like everything but i-default and 'enochian' could
have reasonable Preferred Values (if there is a single one) or an addition
to the Description (for multiple ones). Here's a collected proposal, with
my reasoning for the two special cases following.

TagDeprecatedPreferred-Value Or Descriptionen-GB-oedyyyy-mm-dden-oxford
i-defaultyyyy-mm-dden-idefaulti-enochianyyyy-mm-ddart-enochiani-mingo
yyyy-mm-ddsee-mingocel-gaulishyyyy-mm-ddsee xtg, xcg, xlp, xgazh-min
7/29/2009see nan, mnp, cdo, czo, cpx

*i-default: *I looked more into this following the RFCs. It is a very
screwy concept (IMO), and I don't know of any significant implementation
that uses it, but I think the key phrase is:

Messages in Default Language MUST be understandable by an
English-speaking person

Given that, I think the best approach would be to define a variant tag so
that we can form en-idefault

Of course, existing implementations that use "i-default" can continue to
use "i-default"; it is deprecated, not removed. But everyone who wants to
change to a syntactically regular format, can then do so.

*enochian: *I wouldn't be in favor of a registered language tag for
enochian, simply because it is not important enough to start allocating
them for it. I'd suggest adding "art-enochian" just to get the ball
rolling, and requesting a new 3 letter tag for it. If and when the 3 letter
code arrives, we can deprecated i-enochian and the variant subtag enochian
in favor of it.

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*