Add Likely Subtags first step

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sun Jan 25 04:47:01 CET 2015

Kent Karlsson scripsit:

> According to Wikipedia, the Gaulish languages are (or rather were):
> xtg – Transalpine Gaulish
> xcg – Cisalpine Gaulish
> xlp – Lepontic
> xga – Galatian

It's a bit more dcomplex than that.  Lepontic is probably the sister
language to the Gaulish group, and whether Noric and Galatian are
Gaulish proper or just closely related is a question.  Celtiberian
is further away.  But nobody knows whether these languages form
a proper clade with respect to the insular Celtic languages or not.

I would deprecate this tag and *not* refer to any other tags.  People
who are likely to tag things with Gaulish probably know more about it
than any of us on this list (unless indeed we have a Gaulish scholar
lurking, in which case, speak up!)

> So I think a comment like:
> "Comment: See: nan for Min Nan, mnp for Min Bei, cdo for Min Dong,
>   czo for Min Zhong, cpx for Pu-Xian."
> would be appropriate for this registry entry, while deprecating this
> tag.

I agree, but using the standard comment form "see nan, mnp, cdo, czo, cpx".

> According to Wikipedia, Mingo is a dialect of Seneca

That may not be entirely true either, but there is at least
one first-hand report that they are mutually intelligible: see
<http://www.mingolanguage.org/texts/tom/20c_mingo.html>.  So I'd say:
let's register mingo as a variety subtag and deprecate i-mingo in favor
of see-mingo.

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> If Michael is fine with 'oxford', I won't argue. I thought it was a
> conscious decision that 'oxford' might misleadingly imply the city
> rather than the dictionary.

True, but I think we can let that go now.

Finally, i-default *must* be left alone: it is unique and has a particular
use, and is not the same as und.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws them
alive again from the water. I came from the end of a bag, but no bag
went over me.  I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am
Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider.  --Bilbo to Smaug