Applying for a Neo subtag

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at telia.com
Mon Mar 7 10:12:55 CET 2011

Den 2011-03-03 18:52, skrev "Michael Everson" <everson at evertype.com>:

> I'll be publishing a translation of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in Neo
> (Los Aventuros de Alis in Marvoland) in Neo --
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_(constructed_language) -- later this year or
> sometime next, and Neo hasn't got an ISO 639 language tag. I filed a request
> today with the ISO 639-3 authority for the tag "neu". Failing that we would
> need a subtag to "art" here... I guess neo1961 would do.

A variant subtag for "art" would be inappropriate. Neo not a variant of
"art", and in addition "art" is a collection code. Neo should have a primary
language subtag. A primary language subtag with 5-8 characters would work if
the request to add a three-character code for Neo to ISO 639-3 fails. (I
guess regarding Neo as a variant of Esperanto or Ido is not appropriate,
despite the similarities.)

    /Kent K