Applying for a Neo subtag

Phillips, Addison addison at lab126.com
Mon Mar 7 18:51:30 CET 2011

> > I'll be publishing a translation of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
> > in Neo (Los Aventuros de Alis in Marvoland) in Neo --
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_(constructed_language) -- later this
> > year or sometime next, and Neo hasn't got an ISO 639 language tag. I
> > filed a request today with the ISO 639-3 authority for the tag "neu".
> > Failing that we would need a subtag to "art" here... I guess neo1961 would
> do.
>
> A variant subtag for "art" would be inappropriate. Neo not a variant of "art",
> and in addition "art" is a collection code. Neo should have a primary language
> subtag. A primary language subtag with 5-8 characters would work if the
> request to add a three-character code for Neo to ISO 639-3 fails. (I guess
> regarding Neo as a variant of Esperanto or Ido is not appropriate, despite the
> similarities.)

A primary language subtag would be appropriate if and only if ISO 639 had already rejected assigning a code to Neo. Until/unless that happens, it is probably inappropriate to register any code for the language in question. And then, as Kent Karlsson points out, a 5-8 character primary language subtag would be appropriate. Section 3.6 of RFC 5646 spells this out:

    Subtags MUST NOT be registered for languages
      defined by codes that exist in ISO 639-1, ISO 639-2, or ISO 639-3;
      that are under consideration by the ISO 639 registration
      authorities; or that have never been attempted for registration
      with those authorities.  If ISO 639 has previously rejected a
      language for registration, it is reasonable to assume that there
      must be additional, very compelling evidence of need before it
      will be registered as a primary language subtag in the IANA
      registry (to the extent that it is very unlikely that any subtags
      will be registered of this type).

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect (Lab126)