Anomaly in upcoming registry

Mark Davis ⌛ mark at macchiato.com
Thu Jul 9 00:58:12 CEST 2009

There are two reasons for having a non-deprecated sh. First, the equivalent
hbs is in ISO 639-3, which we are taking as a basis for our expansion in
many ways. Having that one macrolanguage be deprecated is just anomalous.

Second, there is a real use case. According to a good deal of feedback from
native speakers in Google, what we call Serbian, Croatian, and Bosnian are
really dialects of the one language -- according to the criteria of mutual
comprehension. They are really just like the situation with "mo" and "ro".
Had we had BCP 47 some time ago (and the right country boundaries), they
would have been sh-RS (or maybe sh-Cyrl), sh-BA, sh-HR. Having "sh" as a
macrolanguage recognizes that situation, and gives us a neutral general code
to express the situation.

Mark