Duplicate Busters: Survey #1: [aru] and [arx]

ISO639-3 at sil.org ISO639-3 at sil.org
Thu Jul 31 18:00:06 CEST 2008

Hello All,

I'll take the duplicates cases one at a time (for those that I think the
ISO 639-3/RA needs to comment on).

[aru] Aruá   and    [arx] Aruá
The 2008-054 change request handling was the cause of this duplication. In
the interest of maintaining stability in the "reference name" I missed
seeing the duplication with [arx] resulting from adding the acute to the
former name "Arua" used with [aru].

ISO 639-3/RA Recommendation: an update to the change request outcome to
make "Arawá" the reference name for [aru] rather than "Aruá", which will
be retained as an additional name.

This can be processed immediately; it does not have to wait for the annual
review process.

Joan Spanne
ISO 639-3/RA
SIL International
7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd
Dallas, TX 75236
ISO639-3 at sil.org

"Doug Ewell" <doug at ewellic.org>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no

"LTRU Working Group" <ltru at ietf.org>, <ietf-languages at iana.org>
cc

Subject
Duplicate Busters: Survey #1

This is the first of two surveys that are being distributed to both the
LTRU and ietf-languages groups, to determine how to resolve two
different types of duplicate Description information in the IANA
Language Subtag Registry.  The results will affect the contents of the
future (RFC 4646bis) Registry, and some of the results may affect the
current (RFC 4646) Registry as well.

===

Type: language
Subtag: aru
--> REPLACE WITH: Aruá (Arauan)
Added: 2029-09-09

Type: language
Subtag: arx
--> REPLACE WITH: Aruá (Monde)
Added: 2029-09-09

Both of these are listed in Ethnologue as "a language of Brazil," so
region cannot be used as a distinguishing feature.  'aru' is extinct,
but this is also not a good attribute by which to distinguish the two,
especially since 'arx' has only 12 speakers itself.  'aru' is listed as
a member of the Arauan language family and 'arx' as a member of the
Monde family, so this seems to be the best choice.

http://www.ewellic.org