LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: pinyin

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Jul 31 07:13:49 CEST 2008

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

> Agreed. Any other changes people think we should make?

1. Since both variants have a prefix of "zh-Latn", it might be
considered redundant for the Description fields to say "Pinyin
romanization of Chinese" and "Wade-Giles romanization of Chinese".  This
is a minor quibble which I also have with descriptions like "The San
Giorgio dialect of Resian", attached to a record with prefix "sl-rozaj"
which already implies Resian.

2. By making the prefix "zh-Latn" instead of "zh", you are essentially
requiring taggers to write "zh-Latn-pinyin" instead of "zh-pinyin", or
"zh-Latn-TW-wadegile" instead of "zh-TW-wadegile".  I assume this is
what you want.  It seems a bit contrary to what we discussed in LTRU
about "fonipa" not requiring "Latn".

http://www.ewellic.org