[Ltru] Guernsey Jersey and Isle of Man ISO 3166-1 Codes

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 23 22:49:31 CET 2006

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

> So, I presume that nothing happens *here* until ISO has actually
> published an update?

Absolutely correct.  It must be that way.  But never fear, I've got the
modification forms all filled out and ready to send to Michael when the
day comes.

> How does the LST Reviewer discover these? Does (s)he have to make
> regular  checks? (I can't see any means at the ISO site to subscribe
> to update notifications -- rather annoying. At least the ISO 639-RA/
> JAC Secretary publishes announcements to this list.)

I use WatchThatPage.  Their service is free (although they'd prefer it
if I sent them a donation) and they send me a handy daily summary of any
changes that have occurred.  As John pointed out, there are other sites
that perform the same service.

As an aside, I wish the ISO 639-2/RA would be as diligent about updating
their online code lists in response to Håvard's notices as I hope we can
be updating the registry.

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> Doug will tell me. :-)

Very true.

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

> For the current value of "Doug", that is.  Perhaps in 3066ter we
> should add the role of Official Doug ("Code Update Monitor",
> perhaps?).

If I ever decide to stop providing this informal service to the LSR (cf.
having the decision made for me, say by a runaway bus), I'll be sure to
let the LSR and list know in advance.

> Seriously, though, this is just another bit of his job that the LSR
> has delegated.

Very true.  I agree that this should not be an official role or title.
Anyone can shake the Reviewer's shoulder and tell him.

Michael replied:

> I'm pretty sure this was pre-delegated. I though I was just supposed
> to review requests, not chase down every standard the RFC invokes.

Actually, for all the credit I'm being given for doing this, it's not
really that much work if you rely on a WatchThatPage to do the
chasing-down for you.  I hardly ever visit the official code-list pages
manually once I've pointed WTP at them.

Put another way, if Debbie hadn't just clued us in about GG and IM and
JE, I would never have known until the MA announced the change; but I
would have known within a day thereafter.

--
Doug "Official Doug" Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA