[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 16 16:28:46 CET 2006

McDonald, Ira <imcdonald at sharplabs dot com> wrote:

> However, since you're all convinced that printers and print
> drivers will miraculously be unharmed by the egregious
> infixing of four-character script tags where their parsers
> previously expected country/region tags, I'll stop wasting
> my breath.

Speaking only for myself, I didn't say that.  I said that printers and
print drivers that follow the remove-from-right algorithm described in
RFC 2911, trying to match their input against an internal language-only
tag, would be unharmed if the input changed from language-region to
language-script-region.  And I said that our priorities for assigning
Suppress-Script values should be directed toward languages for which
regional variants are thought to be worth tagging, and thus most likely
to exist.

Of course, now that IPP has been shown to implement an incomplete,
simplified model of RFC 1766, rather than RFC 1766 itself, and that both
RFC 1766 registered tags ("i-default") and RFC 3066 built-in tags
("fil") break this model, we can't really expect it to work perfectly
with RFC 3066bis either.  All we can do is add the Suppress-Script
values we can agree upon conclusively.

Based on this discussion, though, I've seen the light and changed my
tag-generating utility so it does NOT generate Suppress-Script-violating
tags by default -- only if the user turns off an option that is
initially on.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA