[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 16 10:49:12 CET 2006

‎> From: McDonald, Ira [mailto:imcdonald at sharplabs.com]‎
‎
> You kind of glossed the fact the PWG editors DID want a proper
‎> language tag in Printer MIB v1 (RFC 1759), but were prevented
‎> specifically by the miserable advice/guidance of the IETF
‎> appointed WG expert advisor (who shall remain unnamed, but I'm
‎> sick of printer vendors getting this bad rap).‎

In my last post, I didn't actually blame printer vendors for anything. All I said what that

- the syntax for IPP/1.1 doesn't really appear to be that of RFC1766 (though this isn't completely clear)

- MIB v1/v2 clearly do *not* implement the syntax of RFC1766

- thus, there are back-compat problems even for RFC 3066 -- 3066bis doesn't really change anything (in fact, there are back-compat problems even if we were still at RFC1766)

- and so: All we can do wrt Suppress-Script (as far as printing protocols are concerned) is some damage control for high-importance cases such as en-US and fr-FR.‎

Peter Constable